Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: Rock & Country & Blues & Other music

  1. #11
    Inactive Member CDNRunaways Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 24th, 2005
    Posts
    250
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'll have to check out that cd, as I obviously like Cherie Currie.

    It would also be nice to hear David Johansen again. The New York Dolls were one band I really enjoyed during my high school years.

  2. #12
    Inactive Member ellanoize's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 28th, 2003
    Posts
    8,466
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Sorry for the delay in my reply Stephen, this has been a crazy couple of weeks.

    I also love the music of the New York Dolls, I had the LP Too Fast Too Soon. I was also a fan of Johnny Thunders. I never got into Buster Poindexter (Johansson alter ego, But he did a retro blues country Cd, I think it was called David & The Harry Smiths, I heard it broadcast & discussed on NPR program a couple years ago.

    I just heard a tune by Mott the Hoople on the local classix Rock radio this morning. That was a band I liked a lot too. It seems like Ian Hunter has kinda faded away

  3. #13
    Inactive Member CDNRunaways Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 24th, 2005
    Posts
    250
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I was a huge Mott The Hoople fan for a number of years. I had everything they ever released on vinyl, as well as all of Ian Hunter's solo material. I got rid of everything when I sold most of my lp's. I sort of wish I had kept them now. I was also a member of an Ian Hunter fan club, started by someone in the States, I believe. I was sent an Ian Hunter/Mick Ronson signed photo, as well as a regular monthly newsletter. I don't have that stuff now either.

    I always thought, and still do, that Ian Hunter's solo work was far superior to the work he did in Mott The Hoople. Ian's self-titled 1st solo release I will buy on cd sometime. It is his greatest moment, IMO.

    I always enjoyed the Glam Rock bands, like Roxy Music, Queen, David Bowie, New York Dolls, and a few others. I still listen to early Queen. Terrific music!!

  4. #14
    Inactive Member CDNRunaways Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 24th, 2005
    Posts
    250
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Roger,

    I attended the Strawbs concert last weekend. I had a great time, and loved the music.

    I got pictures taken with the band members too! Aside from the Canadian folk singer Bruce Cockburn, I believe they were the first Rock Stars I ever met. It was quite a thrill! I should have the photos close to Christmas.


    Stephen

  5. #15
    Inactive Member ellanoize's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 28th, 2003
    Posts
    8,466
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    That is great news Stephen. It is always a good feeling when you get a chance to meet someone you respect and they turn out to be nice people.

    If you would like to post your photos you are more than welcome to start a new thread and post them here.

    I'm glad to hear you had a great time.

    rOg

  6. #16
    Inactive Member CDNRunaways Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 24th, 2005
    Posts
    250
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks Roger, I'll post the photos when I receive them from a friend.

    The lead singer of the Strawbs, Dave Cousins, is a very interesting fellow. He is a wonderfully funny storyteller, as well as a fine musician!

  7. #17
    Inactive Member ellanoize's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 28th, 2003
    Posts
    8,466
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Today is the first day since the move that I have had a chance to sit back and play a little music.

    Todays play list started off with Dwight Yokum's Very Best Of. I like his laid back style alot, I love his covers of (did I ever mention I LOVE cover Tunes,) Suspicious Minds (Elvis), Crazy little thing called Love (Queen), And his Countryfied version of Cheap Tricks I Want You To Want Me.

    I then followed that up with two of my favorite Faces Cd's, featuring Rod Stewart, Oh La La and A Nod Is As Good As A Wink.
    I have always been a fan of the dirty distored guitar of Ronnie Wood, and Rods scratchy throated vocals. You can see some of the country blues influence that the band had picked up.
    These Cds are a great laid back Sunday Soundtrack.

  8. #18
    Inactive Member CDNRunaways Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 24th, 2005
    Posts
    250
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Roger, I have heard alot of early Stewart, but I don't think I have ever owned/heard his work with the Faces. I will have to listen to them sometime.

    I have always loved Glam Rock, and just bought the T. Rex classic "Electric Warrior" on cd. It comes with bonus tracks, which is an advantage cd's have over lp's (although the large lp covers were great)!!! The T. Rex cd sounds as terrific as ever to me.

    I remember reading about Marc Bolan's passing in the music mags. of Fall 1977. Just a few weeks before the Skynyrd plane crash (another band from my childhood I still enjoy).

  9. #19
    Inactive Member ellanoize's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 28th, 2003
    Posts
    8,466
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I grew up listening to The Faces, I Liked the raspy voice of Rod from the first time I heard it, I recently heard his new Lp The American Song book (or something close to that) and it is great too, It has Rod sing old pop songs, backed by an Orchestra.

    Right Now I have Eric Clapton And BlindFaith cranked up, I'm not sure of the Year it was released, but it was/ is an awesome band playing great blues based Rock. It has only 6 songs but they are all classics. "can't Find My Way Home", "Well Alright", Presance of the Lord" and the 15 minute version of "Do What You Like" which gave everyone a chance for a bit of free style soloing.

    Rock On!

    rog

  10. #20
    Inactive Member CDNRunaways Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 24th, 2005
    Posts
    250
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The Blind Faith release is wonderful!! "Sea Of Joy" is my fav. song on it. Steve Winwood never sounded better.

    I bought 2 lp's today. (Part of me stills lives in the past, I guess!!!) lol One is by Steve Hunter called "Swept Away". I had never seen this 70's release before. He has done session work with Alice Cooper, Lou Reed, and Peter Gabriel among others. I always loved the sound of his guitar!!!

    The other lp is Nazareth's "Razamanaz". The inside shot of the band in concert is super! I miss lp's, in particular the ones with gatefold covers.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •